London with the Porters

Last weekend I went to London to visit Meg and Jared. I met Puppy Ruby, who is a very fine puppy. She won best in show! We had an awesome day, despite the intense heat. We went to Hyde Park to see if we could see the Mr. Darcy giant statute in the Serpentine lake. It unfortunately had been moved, so I'll have to chase it down somewhere else. We did enjoy the beautiful Lady Di Memorial fountain. It was crowded with lots of people, but so nice to cool off in the rushing water. We walked to Pizza Express, through part of the park, and had a great lunch, but were immediately hungry afterwards... so we went to Paul french bakery (the best!) and got macaroons. Since it was blisteringly hot, we decided to see World War Z at the cinema in Picadilly Circus. It was a good thriller zombie movie. And the popcorn was just plain old salty. After the movie, it had cooled off a little bit. We headed to the Tate Modern to hang out with the modern art. Meg and I sat with the dimly lit Rothko paintings for a while absorbing their energy. After the Tate, we went back to Brick Lane, near where Meg and Jared live in Bethnal Green. We actually sat down in an Indian restaurant, partly because we had been half bullied by the guy outside, but since Indian food actually requires a larger commitment than I was willing to make that evening, I backed out. We got beigels instead and ate them in the Porters flat before I headed back to Cambridge on the train. London is so familiar to me its nice to spend time doing familiar things with people I love. I think I also need to keep exploring it though, and discovering new and exciting angles of the city I haven't seen yet.

The fountain is a brilliant design, the granite is not slippery at all! Enabling kids to run along the river.

So happy, like these children, to be cooling off in rushing water.

Small panorama of people walking the fountain. Meg and Jared to my left.

Street art near Brick Lane. Rhino! Bumblebee.



Comments

Popular Posts