Lunch with Edel / Anglesey Abbey Bike Ride

 A great aspect of the PKP summer courses was smaller class sizes enabling more interaction with our professors. Edel Sanders taught my course in the learning sciences and brought a unique background to her teaching. She has a pretty awesome story; she grew up in Nebraska studying opera, but eventually moved to New York City to do her thing there. She joined a band called Lime that was pretty big in the 70's, especially in Florida... so she traveled and performed with them for a while, all while wearing bell bottoms. In the mean time she met her husband, got married, and started teaching and researching in music and education. This past summer she has been finishing her doctorate at Cambridge. We got her to sing for us a few times, just a few spontaneous bursts, but it was great! Joseph wanted to go to lunch with her and Richard, who had been doing his supervision with her, so we enjoyed a vegan friendly meal at the Rainbow Cafe the second to last week of the program. We discussed how we would change the world by innovating education. Look out.

This is Richard. Isn't he adorable?

This is Joseph. And Edel! Our food was stellar. And healthy.
PKP planned a lot of outings and tours and trips, and although I didn't do as many of them as I would've liked, I really wanted to do the bike ride to Anglesey Abbey. I had bought my bike the second week of the program, a really nice single gear with all new stuff on it. The kid who sold it to me was sharp, and I trusted him, as I'm apt to do with guys who have a lisp and gages, so I felt really good about it. For our ride, a group met at the Cambridge Union Society and we followed Liam, our PA, along the trail to Anglesey Abbey. It's an estate with some beautiful acres of gardens, woods, and wilderness. It was about 15 miles out and back. We went pretty slow... but I enjoyed the scenery and talking to the other kids in our group.


The estate house. So much space to play catch...

This is an amazing French pruning job, no? Oh, and that's Griffin.
The tree house I always wanted. I had to bully these kids to get in there though.
Amazing symmetry throughout the entire park.

Some bamboo art. And Griffin.

Love these golden fields.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts