Best Movies 2011

I've been home in California a few weeks now and have had too much time to watch movies. I heard some Oscar buzz on the radio today and thought I'd weigh in on my favorite movies of the year. In no particular order...

The Help: I just watched it tonight actually! My parents kept sushing me when funny or important parts were coming up. It was very moving and Viola Davis (Abeline) is a favorite for the Best Actress award. My dad was laughing so hard he was wheezing when Hilly ate the "pie." Bryce Dallas Howard is one of my favorites, ever since The Village, As You Like It, and surprise! Terminator: Salvation (and the Twilight saga?). If you're a red head and Ron Howard's daughter you've already got a lot going for you. But she's talented because I hated her in this movie. Emma Stone, notable performance. "Easy A" anyone? It was funny.

Warrior: I know what you may be thinking, a movie about UFC? Cage fighting? This was a surprise to me even though I heard it was really good. Tom Hardy (Tommy) is one of my new favorite character actors. I'm putting him up there with Christian Bale and Leo Dicaprio. Really. He knows how to get into a role (see: trapezius muscles). Overall though, there was really excellent character development. Nick Nolte did a great job and Joel Edgerton was a knockout. Pun intended. Obvio. Those thighs! They conquered the Russian. Really, you will not be disappointed. One of my new favorite inspirational sports movies (top of my list are Rocky, Miracle, and Remember the Titans).

Money Ball: Brad Pitt, it is reported, is a shoe in for a nomination. Money Ball made me laugh and cry and actually double fist pump in the theater. Really well done. Jonah Hill was spot on. Brad gave quite a calculated performance. I appreciate that. Great mix of sports and economics. And the human factor was deep. That first baseman did it!! So much emotion.

Hugo: This biggest surprise in this movie for me was Sacha Baron Cohen? As in Borat? Ali G.? Ok, he did a convincing job as a stuffy Parisian gendarmerie. It was 3D but not everything was in your face so not too overwhelming. The story it turns out is really about the history of film which was just lovely. Ben Kingsley is fantastic in whatever role he's in (we'll excuse him for Prince of Persia, although I have something to say about that...later). The kid did a great job too! Who can go through an entire French winter in shorts? And he's so thin. Nice job Marty Scorcese.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II: Yeah I like Harry Potter. I came of age with the entire series and the world is a better place for it. Despite the liberties they took with some changes (Snape killed in the boat house? I don't remember there being a boat house on the lake..) And that weird "let's finish this together!" awkward neck grab where Harry dives off some cliff with Voldemort. Fine, but the battle was epic and it was really well done. I saw it opening night and the crowd was great, especially when some girl yelled "ewwww is that necessary?" when the bloody Voldemort fetus came up. I won't speak of the epilogue. You have to give the people what they want. That's all I'll say.

Jane Eyre: I read the book, finally, shame on me as an English major for not reading it sooner. I really liked it after it got going with Mr. Rochester, but I came to appreciate the childhood chapters about Jane. I think Jane is a kind of Victorian-era Holden Caulfield for girls. I said it first. Right here. She accurately vocalized the naivety and innocence of childhood, but from inside Jane's own stream of consciousness thought that of course wasn't written like stream of consciousness, but was definitely from her as she matured. Mia Waikowsky has proven herself again and again, look for Albert Dobbs (yeah, Glenn Close as a man? Look out Helen Mirren) and easy on the eyes Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class, another up and coming character actor).

Midnight in Paris: My sister hated this movie which makes sense why I loved it, we have the opposite taste in movies (she was snoring in my face during Warrior, but it was late and I think if she had been awake she would have enjoyed it). I just watched this last week, and the day or two before I watched Scoop (Scarlet Johanssen and Hugh Jackman, not funny, don't bother). Woody totally redeemed himself with Owen Wilson and a great cast. Marion Cotillard is so scintillatingly French, I envy her, even the mole in the middle of her forehead. Adrien Brody as Dali (DalĂ­!), Kathy Bates (Gertrude Stein), and Rachel McAdams (why did she have to wear a belt around her dress/long shirt in every scene? I get it, she's trendy, but I didn't like her, so good job Rach). Rich settings and good dialogue. Paris, je t'aime.

Honorable Mentions:
War Horse: Yeah so made GQ's worst movies of 2011. Another friend said Steven Spielberg is a has been. False, Tom Hanks is. Larry Crowne? Yeesh. It was inspirational and a great WWI movie. And yes, I really like horses when I was a kid.
Tin Tin: I followed the plot, why couldn't you GQ movie reviewer? And Jamie Bell voiced him. It was exciting.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: James Franco! You are only getting better. Palo Alto pride. Where were you when I was at happy donuts the other late night?
Breaking Dawn, Part I: Yes. I backflipped on to this band wagon just the other week. Watched all the movies in a matter of days. Still haven't read the books though. Don't worry Amazon should be delivering Twilight any day now... Breaking Dawn was funny. Taylor Lautner and his band of werewolf brothers was so weird and I couldn't explain why I liked it so much. Must've been all the uninterrupted eye contact throughout the entire film. Its entertainment at its best. I am entertained.

Movies I still want to see:
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Rooney Mara! I can't believe you were Erica in Social Network! This movie will probably give me bad/scary dreams)
The Artist (I bet you everything in my bank account its an Oscar. Better make it double or nothing...)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Benedict Cumberbatch, you deserve an award for your ridiculous name which reminds me of a cumberbon. If thats how you spell it. Clearly not from the squiggly red line. But supposed to be one of Gary Oldman's best performances "I was in Fifth Element... and Harry Potter")
Tree of Life (Not everyone liked New World, Colin Farrell as John Smith is hard to stomach. But the cinematography was a feast visually and methodical. Friends who saw this one of Terrence Malick's said it took days to digest. Two in one year Brad? Still making up for Salt. Sorry Angie)

Avoid List (I made the mistake of seeing):
Captain America. Sorry Chris Evans. You don't got it. So stop it.
Source Code. I like you Jake; you even pulled off the period piece long hair accent not terribly bad in Prince of Persia (don't hate me). But this was beneath you.

Comments

Popular Posts